School Policy and Responsibilities:
Our goal is to provide parents with a safe and nurturing school communities where their children can obtain a quality education. We are committed to fiscal responsibility and are responsible to our local community. We respect parent and their values.
Parent responsibilities include regular student attendance; communication between home and school; commitment to support homework; provision of adequate shelter and nutrition; and support of school conduct rules and consequences.
Special School Programs:
OVMS offers a wide variety of programs to fit the needs of our students. These programs include: Interdisciplinary Instruction, Exploratory Topics/Electives, Special Education, Gifted, ELL, Comprehensive PE Program, Technology Integration across the curriculum, and Fine Arts Instruction.
Students receive a citizenship grade for each class, every grading period. We expect students to act in a respectful manner at all times to others and property. We will not tolerate inappropriate behavior in class which interferes with learning.
Rules of Conduct: (Prohibited Behavior)
- Gang activity: wearing, carrying, or displaying gang paraphernalia including bandanas, graffiti, using hand signs or lingo and/or claiming membership.
- Weapons: Possession or use of weapons, explosives, or firearms.
- Dangerous Objects: Possession or use of a dangerous object-any object which could cause harm (for example, fireworks) or which is used to cause harm.
- Drugs: the non-medical use, possession, distribution, or sale of chemical substances.
- Alcohol: Possession or use of alcohol.
- Tobacco and cigarettes: Possession or use of tobacco products.
- Fighting: Fighting or abuse of students.
- Threats of Life: Verbal or physical threats to anyone.
- Harassment, Intimidation, & Loss of Control
- Profanity or Obscenity: Lewd, indecent, or obscene conduct or expression.
- Disruptive Conduct: Conduct or expression that causes disruption.Disrespect will not be tolerated.
- School Property: Defacing, damaging, destroying, vandalizing, or littering school property.
- Defiance & Lack of Cooperation: Not abiding by instructions of school staff.
- Public Displays of Affection: Acts of affection (e.g. holding hands).
- Dress: Clothing, hats, and accessories. *Refer to OVMS dress code.
- Gum, candy, and sunflower seeds: Not allowed on campus.
- Food: Food consumed outside the MPR.
- Electronic devices: Items not allowed at school include: tape and CD players, tapes and CD’s, pagers, mobile phones, personal radios, TV’s, and electronic games.
- Tardies: Students are expected to be at each one of their classes on time.
- Dishonesty: Including, but not limited to, cheating, and lying.
Be in your seat with all necessary materials when your teacher closes the door. Follow directions of the teacher. Raise your hand to be called on in class and wait for permission to speak. Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself. No food or drinks in the classroom.
P.E. Uniform Standards:
The PE department at OVMS has implemented PE uniforms for all middle school students. The decision was made by the PE department. Teachers, administration, and students. Students are expected to wear a red shirt and a pair of black or blue sports shorts of their own. The shorts may not have any logos on them. Eventually we hope to supply the shorts and shirt for a full uniform. For more information on this policy, contact Lisa Breit firstname.lastname@example.org.
98 – 100 = A+
93 – 97 = A
90 – 92 = A-
88 – 89 = B+
87 – 83 = B
82 – 80 = B-
79 – 78 = C+
77 – 73 = C
72 – 70 = C-
69 – 68 = D+
67 – 63 = D
62 – 60 = D-
below 59 = F